Monday 30 December 2019

Priviledge

As I get older, I tend to connect more and see more. Despite the old grey matter failing me at times, I can still spot trends and make associations.

The more I see of politicians and the media, the more I see a cabal, a clique of people. On the screen all you see is a group of apparently unrelated individuals.

Time and time again, I hear back stories that someone knew someone else's parents, or they worked for someone, or were a friend of the family way before they became famous, or got a high-flying job, or got into politics. I very rarely hear a back story where someone with no previous connection to anyone else made it to the top in media or politics.

This is where the matter of privilege comes in.

No matter what field you are in, you cannot get ahead without some form of privilege or patronage.

This is the unseen ceiling to true equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment