Friday 11 October 2019

Nanny State: A Nicer Term than Fascist, but They're Both the Same.

It seems now that there's a suggestion that the consumption of food should be banned on public transport, in an effort to reduce childhood obesity.

The first point is, I'm 57. I resent being reduced to the role of a child. I stopped needing a Nanny at the age of 4 and I refuse to accept one now. Why should I be banned from eating by some Government Gaulighter when I'm on the bus or the train?

If we're really talking of childhood obesity, then be specific: ban junk food for kids, ban junk food adverts during kids TV programmes and have parents that feed junk food to kids hauled off to prison.

But to ban everyone including adults from eating on public transport smells to me of someone abusing their position and influence to eliminate a pet peeve.

But don't say the smokers didn't warn you, once smoking was banned, EVERYTHING is up for censure.

Up to and including I would imagine breathing for some sections of the public the middle-class Nannies would rather be rid of.

Because that's where this slippery slope ends: imprisoning people for invented reasons (or worse).

Welcome to the currently authoritarian and if not already Fascist state.

No comments:

Post a Comment