Sunday 30 August 2009

Portsmouth Kite Festival

I've been interested in kite flying on and off since I was a kid. I've got an old parasail stunting kite I've had for 10 years or so that I get out every now and then. Since I moved to Portsmouth, I've been waiting for the annual Portsmouth International Kite Festival to come around, so I can have a look.

Went down to have a look yesterday and wasn't dissapointed, its pretty spectacular, with all the kites flying.

If you have kids, I'd recommend it, as there's nothing better than to get down on Southsea common and fly a kite for some parental bonding.

The weather is supposed to be good tomorrow, its free to enter, so why not pop down? Monday is free flying day: Buy a kite and fly it.

I've added pics I took yesterday on my phone camera, to show you what to expect.

I've also seen a kite I really, really like: a Revolution, which can do some pretty impressive aerobatics. If you go to the kite festival, check them out.

However, a Revolution is a bit out of my reach, as I'm not serious enough about my kites to justify the 150 quid asking price, even if I was working.

I think I'll stick with my 30 quid 10-year-old stunter for now.

UPDATE:

The weather is overcast and drizzly. So much for the weather forecast.

Best give kite flying a miss then.

UPDATE2:

The weather cleared to clear blue skies despite what I said at 7 o'clock. I've just come back from a couple of hours on Southsea common. It was packed to capacity.

Lots of dads flying kites, after the kids got fed up....

I still want a revolution, or at lest a kite that flies like it. Looks like I'll be doing some DIY: digging out the sewing machine and trying to cadge some ripstop nylon and some carbon poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment